Oct. 12, 2021 Firefighters responded to a reported medical call at 1355 Graves Road, Vita Apartments in Norcross. Upon arrival, several patients were complaining of symptoms consistent with Carbon Monoxide poisoning and additional fire department units were requested to assist.
Residents of one of the apartment units reported that the power had gone out overnight and it was soon discovered that a gas-powered generator had been utilized to provide temporary power to that unit. A total of 27 patients were evaluated for varying degrees of illness and 8 patients with reported non-life-threatening illness were transported to local hospitals, most of which are pediatric patients.READ MORE: 'Save the Video Store' Immersive 90s Experience in Marietta through June 12
The building involved is a 4-unit apartment building. Fire crews utilized Carbon Monoxide meters to measure the levels of Carbon Monoxide inside the building. The building was ventilated to ensure the air was safe before residents were allowed back into their apartments.READ MORE: Investing in Atlanta's arts community
Firefighters would like to remind citizens that while gas-powered generators are a useful tool during an extended power outage, their use can lead to a dangerous Carbon Monoxide hazard if not used properly. Remember to run them outside and at least 20 feet away from windows, doors, or vents. Carbon Monoxide alarms should be installed on every level of the home and outside each sleeping area.MORE NEWS: Boeing Launches Starliner Astronaut Capsule On Test Mission With No Crew
The name of the apartments is Vita Apartments located at 1355 Graves Road in Norcross.