(CBS Local) — With colder weather upon us, a lot of people are pulling out their space heaters to heat their home.
However, they can be dangerous if used improperly.
Morgan County Fire & EMS in Utah warned the public Saturday about potential fire hazards if space heaters are plugged into power strips.
“These devices are not designed to handle the energy load of a space heater and can overheat causing a fire hazard,” said the Facebook post, which has since gone viral.
They plugged two heaters needed 3,000 watts into a 2,000-watt power strip. There was no meltdown or fire but only because their strip that had a fuse that blew, a feature many cheaper strips don’t have.
Experts say the safe way to use a space heater is to plug it directly into the wall.
Also, never use an extension chord and never leave a space heater unattended.
The National Fire Protection Association says heating equipment is the second-leading cause of U.S. home fires and the third leading cause of home fire deaths.