SEC Media Days are finished and the ACC is ready to start up which means we jump to closer to “toe meets leather” and another glorious CFB season. These are your Top 5 storylines for each league as we head into Summer/Fall Camps…
5. Spurrier Watch… Despite what the Ol’ Ball Coach and others say about this not being his last year I’m more skeptical. Spurrier was not fond of last year’s team and this team won’t be much better. How many more recruiting visits does Spurrier really have in him before the Beach comes calling?
4. QB Battles… In a league not deep at QB many teams are still facing a decision of who will start opening day. The list includes Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama, Vandy, Florida, and Georgia… Some are more settled than others but still questions for all involved.
3. The UGA Factor… Many Georgia fans always ask “Is this the year?” Many good things line up for UGA to make a big run and if they can beat both Auburn and Alabama they have a leg up in the SEC Title race… but we’re still talking about Georgia! Can you say toe stub!
2. Old Faces New Places… John Chavis, Will Muschamp and Jim McElwain take on coaching duties at new stops in the SEC. Chavis and Muschamp have their work cut out to turn around 2 of the worst defenses and McElwain takes over a mediocre Florida program. Which coach can impact the quickest?
1. Wide Open West… It appears that the SEC West isn’t as clear cut as in years past. While Bama, Auburn and LSU are all favorites, teams like Arkansas and Miss St can help upset the apple cart and cause the West Champ to be behind the National Title picture before even getting to Atlanta.
5. Year 2 of Bobby Petrino… He along with Gus Malzahn are arguably the 2 best offensive minds in CFB. It was a good start last year but can their team get to the next level as previously under Petrino?
4. Coach Watch 2015… How much longer do David Cutcliffe and Frank Beamer stay at their schools? Does Al Golden have any chance to keep his job at Miami? Several coaches in the league may find themselves on the hot or at least warm seat in the conference this year.
3. The ACC Cachet… The ACC earned itself some points last year by having a great rivalry weekend against the SEC. Can the conference continue to gain more cachet and clout across the nation? Louisville vs Auburn is a great litmus test early for the conference.
2. Can Tech Keep The Mojo? No, not Va Tech, but Ga Tech coming off a great 2014 season where they won the Coastal Division. Tech should be the favorite to repeat but it was also the 1st time HC Paul Johnson had beat Miami and Va Tech in the same season. If they do it again the division is theirs.
1. Who Is FL State? Everett Golson transfers over to play QB which should make HC Jimbo Fisher breathe a sigh of relief. However off-field issues have hurt the ‘Noles including a suspension of leading rusher D Cook. Hard to imagine this team maintaining the 27-1 record of the last 2 seasons.