By John Michaels
Top 5 Things Learned at SEC Media Days… So Far…
5. Vernon Hargraves likes to talk, but he’s also not afraid of a challenge. He said the guy he can’t wait to play against this year is Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell. Hargraves also mentioned that the biggest trash talker he faced was Jarvis Landry while he was at LSU. I can’t wait to see some of the match-ups this between VH and SEC wide-outs.
4. Expectations are very high for Auburn QB Jeremy Johnson, so much so that one casino gives him 20/1 odds to win the Heisman Trophy. That’s really high praise for someone who only threw for 436 yards in 2014. Johnson will be the key to Auburn if the Tigers are to take back the SEC West.
3. Missouri still gets zero respect! It’s amazing that after winning back to back SEC East crowns, the Tigers are basically an afterthought at Media Days. Gary Pinkel probably spent the shortest amount of time at the podium and at least 50% of the questions directed at the coach were about earning respect. If Pinkel and company can 3peat, respect will be accomplished.
2. Brett Bielema gets it. I never quite understood the allure of Brett Bielema as a head coach, but after listening to him speak, he is engaging, funny and seems like a winner. Coach spoke with almost tears in his eyes about his players, and you could sense that he knows his program is on the verge of something big. BB also joked about his size, Twitter and Adidas vs. Nike. To me, coach Bielema was the winner of SEC Media Days.
1. The OSU loss eats at Nick Saban. Whether it was mentioning that his team was distracted, or the fact that he spoke about how he fast paced offense changed how he recruited and substituted player, you could sense that Nick Saban has spent an off-season lamenting about that defeat. Alabama once again is supremely talented across the board, and I this the head of the Tide will be out in 2015 to prove once again that he has the bet program in all of college football.