By John Michaels
Gone are Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota and Bryce Petty so one would think that the QB position will be a little weaker this upcoming season. Here are 5 guys looking to fill the void at the top of the nation.
5. Brad Kaaya (Miami) – Kaaya burst onto the scene in 2014 as a true freshman with 3198 through the air and 26 TDs, and more is expected of him in 2015. Duke Johnson, Clive Walford and Phillip Dorsett are all off to the NFL so the pressure will be squarely on Brad. If he can get protection and be a tad more decisive with the ball look for him to top the numbers of his first year.
4. Justin Thomas (Georgia Tech) – Won’t blow you away with numbers, but Thomas was the straw that stirred the Georgia Tech drink on offense. Thomas has the ability to run and throw it, which is a luxury that Paul Johnson hasn’t always had at the QB position. Thomas ran for over 100 yards in 5 games, including the ACC Championship and the Orange Bowl.
3. Dak Prescott (Mississippi St) – Totaled 41 TDs one season ago in a rugged SEC West. DP will be asked to do a lot more this year as the Bulldogs return only 7 starting players. He’s the top returning quarterback in the SEC, and Mississippi State gets Alabama and Ole Miss at home this year.
2. Trevone Boykin (TCU) – Coach Gary Patterson decided in 2014 to open up the Horned Frogs offense, and Boykin responded with a monster season. He threw for 3901 yards and 33 TDs, and only in one game did he throw more than one interception. TCU felt snubbed one season ago, and Boykin will be one of the preseason Heisman candidates….expect a big year from both.
1. Ohio St QB TBD – It doesn’t matter if it’s Braxton Miller, JT Barrett or Cardale Jones, the Buckeyes are in good hands at the QB position. Miller started 2014 as a Heisman candidate, but was hurt. In stepped Barrett who guided them to the Big Ten Championship game, but he was also injured. All Jones did was beat Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon in his 1st three starts to win a National Title, and turned down the NFL. If I had a pick it would be Jones, but all 3 will play at some point if healthy.