By Gordon Robinson
This weekend marked the opening round of the NBA Playoffs and as expected there were some great performances on display. Today, we honor those players who stepped up for their team and helped contribute to a Game One victory. So while LaMarcus Aldridge and Anthony Davis had great games, they don’t qualify because they finished with an L.
1) Stephen Curry – Golden State Warriors – Chef Curry cooked up 34 points, four rebounds and five assists to help the Warriors defeat the New Orleans Pelicans 106-99. Curry continued in his MVP fashion knocking down big shots when his team needed them.
2) Kyrie Irving – Cleveland Cavaliers – Kyrie Irving scored 30 points as the Cavs defeated the Boston Celtics 113-100. Irving went 5-9 from the three point line (55%) and looked very impressive for his first time in the NBA postseason.
3) Chris Paul/ Blake Griffin – Los Angeles Clippers – Blake Griffin and Chris Paul took the game over in the second half against the San Antonio Spurs. Griffin scored 26 points with 12 boards and six assists. CP3 scored 32 points with seven rebounds and also six assists as Lob City ran away against the Spurs 107-92.
4) Derrick Rose – Chicago Bulls – D. Rose came out in his first playoff game since suffering a string of injuries and scored 23 points to go with seven assists. This game was a positive sign and we hope Rose can continue to remain healthy. He looked like his old MVP self as he played aggressively and with confidence as the Bulls defeated the Milwaukee Bucks 103-91. (Yes we are aware that Jimmy Butler scored 25 points!)
5) Kyle Korver – Atlanta Hawks – Kyle knocked down 21 points and grabbed seven rebounds as the Hawks took out the Brooklyn Nets 99-92. Korver drained five three pointers out of the 11 that he attempted, going 45% from the arc. His last deep ball helped hold off a Brooklyn run.