Springtime in Atlanta is a lovely time of year. Why not clean out your belongings and host a yard sale? With these tips, you can have a successful sale and add some extra cash to your pocket.
1. Create curb appeal: It is that time of year again when we get the urge to clean. However, we have to give attention to both the inside and outside of the house. Fix up the exterior, because it will help attract more customers when the date of your sale arrives. Mow the lawn, wash the windows and show the garden some care. The few hours you put in will surely pay off.
2. Determine what to sell: Define a certain area of the house where you can begin placing certain items to sell. Continue accruing these items as you go from room to room so everything can be laid out in one location. Once everything is gathered, begin working on those items by cleaning each, checking for any damage and determining reasonable values.
3. Advertise: Utilize the timeless method of lampost announcements by making a few copies and posting them around the neighborhood. Also, use online advertising sources such as bulletin board forums, Atlanta Craigslist, Facebook, YardSaleSearch.com, Thrifty Nickel and Twitter. Online advertising tends to be your cheapest option, so take advantage of it. Most people will check upcoming sales on Thursdays, so make sure your advertisements are up in time.
4. Plan accordingly: You should know the most congested routes near your house. Look for areas near these intersections to plant signs for your sale. Post signs several days in advance, ensuring there are multiple signs along the busiest routes by your house. It is important to revisit these sites Thursday afternoon or evening to make sure they are still in place and have not fallen over or been removed. Replace what is necessary. Clearly indicate the dates, times and address on each sign.
5. Be ready for the long haul: Across all advertisements, be very clear on your sale’s start time. Many perennial yard sale shoppers will attempt to come by at the start time to ensure first pick. Be ready to go well in advance of your publicized start time. Starting your sale earlier than others might be the key for having a good turn out. By the same token, be prepared to extend the sale as long as necessary if traffic continues throughout the day. A few more hours means more profit for you.
The following local businesses or organizations may be able to help you get started.
3330 Piedmont Road
Atlanta, GA 30305
East Atlanta Copy Center
1287-A Glenwood Ave.
Atlanta, GA 30316
Stand Up Guys Trash Removal
1950 Roswell Road
Marietta, Ga 30068
For more great tricks, tips and advice about your home, visit CBSAtlanta.com/YourHome.
Michael Francis is a freelance writer studying at Georgia State University. His work can be found at Examiner.com.