The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 8 and for many teams that is the last day to try to get some pieces to improve their team for a playoff push. For other teams it is a chance to unload unwanted contracts, players or acquire beneficial contracts or draft picks. Each team has a different agenda and there is no better time than right now for the rumors to start swirling. These rumors were not started by me, but we can discuss them here because many of them make sense.
- Let’s start off at home, according to David Aldridge at NBA.com the Cleveland Cavaliers may have their eyes on Kent Bazemore. The only way I see Atlanta moving Baze, and I do think that Atlanta is interested in moving him, is if the deal helps them going forward. Look for them to get a young player or a draft pick out of the deal, whether it’s with Cleveland or anyone else.
- Look for the Sacramento Kings to move George Hill in an effort to focus on the young guys De’Aaron Fox and Frank Mason.
- Back to Cleveland, it appears that LeBron James is trying to force the team to trade away their first-round draft pick that they acquired from Brooklyn to get some immediate help. If he gets his way look for that pick to be packaged with Tristan Thompson, Iman Shumpert and/or J.R. Smith to try to grab someone like Paul George or DeAndre Jordan.
- The Charlotte Hornets may be interested in trading point guard Kemba Walker to avoid losing him in free agency after next season. Some of the places that it may make sense for him to land are the New York Knicks, San Antonio Spurs, Orlando Magic, Utah Jazz and the Detroit Pistons.
- I’m also hearing that the Los Angeles Lakers and the Dallas Mavericks may be in talks to move Julius Randle. The Lakers would try to get a pick and possibly an expiring contract from Dallas to try to free up some money for this year’s free agency.
While it is hard to tell if any of this will happen, it is easy to see that the NBA is about to get real interesting as we begin to move into the second half of the season. Stay tuned for more rumors and information as the deadline creeps up.