The 2017 SEC Championship Game kicks off at 4:10 p.m. ET on Saturday with the Auburn Tigers facing the Georgia Bulldogs in Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The game will mark the Southeastern Conference’s first title game inside the new building.
To get you in the spirit of this huge contest, here are some fun facts about the game:
- Eleven national champions have come from the SEC Championship Game. Alabama won the national title in 1992, 2009, 2012 and 2015, Auburn won the title in 2011, Florida won the crown in 1996, 2006 and 2008, Tennessee claimed the honor in 1998 and LSU in 2003 and 2007.
- The winning team has led at halftime in 20 of the 25 previous games. In 1997, Tennessee came back to win (30-29) after trailing Auburn at halftime (10-20) and in 2002, LSU trailed 17- 10 at halftime before defeating Tennessee, 31-20. LSU trailed Tennessee, 7-6, at the half of the 2007 game before taking 21-14 win. In 2011, Georgia led LSU, 10-7, before falling 42-10.
- The team that has scored first in the SEC Championship Game is 13-12, having won seven straight before falling in 2007. The team that scored first lost the first five games and won three in a row before falling four of the past six seasons.
- The team that comes into the SEC Championship Game with the better ranking (AP/USA Today), holds a 19-6 advantage in the game’s history.
- Both teams are making their sixth appearance in the SEC Championship Game; Auburn is 3-2 in the SEC Championship Game, while Georgia is 2-3 … This marks the first time Auburn and Georgia have met in the SEC Championship Game …
- This marks the seventh rematch in the SEC Championship Game history and the first since Auburn beat South Carolina 56-17 in 2010. In the previous six rematches, the regular season winner is 5-1 in the SEC Championship Game.
MARTA : It’ll be crowded, but MARTA will likely still be better for you than trying to cram the downtown Atlanta streets. With the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium hosting the game, pay attention to the new (and much closer) option for MARTA station destination. The Vine City MARTA station is across the street from the stadium media entrance location at Gate 1 on Northside Drive.