The G-Day game was all about scrutinizing the quarterbacks, and here’s what I saw on the couch…
- Jacob Eason missed 2 throws on his first possession.
- Eason looked as heavy footed and immobile as last year. He’s a sitting target in the pocket. If the line doesn’t protect, the play is over.
- No. 3 Tyler Simmons WR: Fumble, drop, alligator-armed, great downfield throw from Fromm…all on first possession!!
Jake Fromm looked like a vet on first possession.
- Felt pressure and reacted
- Quick lob pass in the flat over defender
- Awesome third down pass
Javon Wims was heavily targeted by Eason early on three deep balls in the first two possessions.
- Wims made a great hands catch on a slightly inside throw by Eason for 47 yards
- Wims 17-190-1 last season
Eason showed nice touch and timing on a seam route to tight end Isaac Nauta (incomplete).
Brian Herrien converted the third-and-1 plays with extra effort in the first half.
Elijah Holyfield looks strong, fast and shifty.
- Had an impressive bounce-out TD in second quarter.
Can Rico Hardman fill the Isaiah McKenzie role?
More First-Half QB Observations
- Eason feels pressure and gets flustered and plays dissolve.
- Fromm: 42-yard TD pass to Holloman, great timing, touch and accuracy on throw.
- Eason overthrew Woerner on a deep ball. Picked nicely by Aaron Davis, who made great play on the ball.
- Fromm: awesome long cross-field sideline throw to Holloman, great hands catch.
- Jayson Stanley: Had a bad drop on nice, long throw by Eason
- Fourth and 10: Eason rolled right and gunned throw to Terry Godwin for a first down.
- It was a great decision by head coach Kirby Smart for Eason’s confidence to keep drive moving.
- Lead to field goal.
Red / Fromm 14
Black / Eason 6
Fromm had drops by Jackson Harris and Ty;er Simmons on first drive of second half.
Eason threw a laser-beam 33-yard TD pass to Stanley, who DIDNT drop it!! Eason showed what he can do with protection.
Eason with a great pass to Godwin for a long gain. But then Eason made a terrible pass on third and 4 and they had to kick a FG… 16-14 Black.
Fromm with a nice slide right and long ball to Simmons, who redeemed the early drops with an amazing catch for a 70-yard TD. Fromm then completed a quick dart to Holloman for a two-point conversion and a 22-16 lead.
Fromm moves very well in the pocket, makes quick decisions, gets the ball out quickly and accurate throws. Seems like he had a firm grasp on offense already.
BOTTOM LINE: Eason has a stronger arm, but Fromm is a better playmaker.
Eason to Godwin for long gain, got his side into FG range. Godwin was elusive to turn short pass to long gain.
Eason’s TD pass to Woerner was a bullet, but bad tackling allowed the score… PAT MISSED… 22-22 at 2:31.
Fromm to Simmons: Nice grab in traffic for 20 yards.
Fromm takes sack, setting up fourth and 12 at 1:36.
On fourth and 12 Fromm threw a laser beam between two defenders to Mecole Hardman for 29 yards to the 13-yard line. A field goal made it 25-22, Red/Fromm.
- Eason -3 at 1:07
- First Down: 9-yard throw to Godwin
- Second Down: Felt pressure, quickly threw away
- Third Down: Herrien first down run
- First Down: Eason scrambled right, throw incomplete
- Second Down: Sack by Lorenzo Carter who got a hand on Eason
- Third and 17: Eason holds the ball too long throws incomplete
- Fourth and 17: Eason throws long and out of bounds
BOTTOM LINE: Fromm made a game-winning play and Eason did not.
In my opinion, this should be a wide-open QB competition without any bias based on experience. Game on…