1. 4 Big Wins – The Falcons’ victories are not “just wins”, but notable wins. Three road wins. Over their arch-rival on a major Monday Night when they honored the Hurricane Katrina game a decade earlier. Two against Western teams both of whom have only 1 loss (to the Falcons). Two division wins and the first team in 31 years to beat the two previous Super Bowl teams back-to-back.
2. 175 points scored – Most in the NFL, averaging 35 points a game. Including 71 against, at the time, two top-5 defenses in the league.
3. QB Matt Ryan & OC Kyle Shanahan – Ryan continues to be the highest-rated quarterback in the NFL. He leads the league in passing yards. He is playing as well as he ever has. It is apparent the communications issues that may have existed between these two are gone. Shanahan’s much-criticized system is suddenly the hottest in the game and his play calling has been a step ahead pf the best defensive minds in the game.
4. Julio 1 catch, Julio 300 yds, Julio 2 catches – The superstar WR in the last 3 games. And yet the Falcons won all 3 and pounded on opposing defenses. This proves 3 things.
1) Julio is truly the most dangerous receiving weapon in the game today.
II) The Falcons can beat you in multiple ways and with multiple players.
III) The offensive line is playing at a level that is surely top 3 of any line in the game right now.
5. Sudden Sack Monsters – Hugh makes a show point ‘sacks come in bunches’. The 6 sack bust-up of the Broncos took the Falcons from last to the middle of the league in this stat. If Vic Beasley’s biggest game is the sign of growth we’ve needed to see on defense then we will see more of this to come this season.
What are your most surprising things so far this season?