By Rahul Lal
Dansby Swanson needs the Braves and the Braves need him.
As the top ranked prospect in the Braves’ farm system, Swanson has a bright future and should be a big part of this franchise for years to come. He’s been heralded as he enjoyed massive college success and has contributed in the minors as well.
Given that Swanson was only drafted in 2015, his playing experience at the professional level is limited but he has performed well over that period. In 80 games, Swanson has hit .284/.373/.447 contributing six home runs, 39 RBIs and 10 stolen bases. Current Braves’ shortstop Erick Aybar has been struggling this season only hitting one home run, 14 RBIs and two stolen bases in 70 games. Aybar is 32 going on 33 years old and is showing it.
With Swanson’s impending call up, here’s a list of five fun facts to get to know the next big thing for the Braves!
- Attended and played college baseball for Vanderbilt before being selected #1 in 2015 draft.
- Comes from sports family – father and brother played college baseball, mother played college basketball and tennis, sister played softball.
- Was drafted out of high school in the 38th round in 2012 draft but opted to attend school instead.
- Was named 2014 College World Series Most Outstanding Player.
- Was traded to the Braves as part of the Shelby Miller trade.
Rahul Lal is an LA native stuck in a lifelong, love-hate relationship with the Lakers, Dodgers and Raiders. You can follow him on Twitter here.