ATLANTA (AP) — As utility crews worked to restore power to hundreds of thousands of Georgians, hundreds of thousands more were still without electricity the night after a winter storm dumped snow and ice throughout the region.

Although crews were making progress, new outages were reported throughout the day. Georgia Power and the Georgia Electric Membership Corp. reported that about 202,215 customers were without service as of 9 p.m. Thursday.

Warmer temperatures and sunshine helped melt ice-coated roads across parts of the state. Yet authorities cautioned that threats remain, and Gov. Nathan Deal extended a state of emergency through Sunday evening for 91 counties.

“Let’s don’t let up yet,” Deal said during a noon news conference. “It’s nice to see the sun but do be careful. Don’t unnecessarily jeopardize yourself. And tomorrow morning, those roads are going to be slick.”

Areas near Augusta on the state’s east side were among the hardest-hit, and Deal flew over the area in a helicopter with Augusta’s mayor and an official from nearby Columbia County to assess the situation.

Deal said teams of workers with chain saws helped clear trees and branches and National Guard soldiers were among the resources being sent to help residents of east Georgia.

The storm lived up to predictions that it would be “catastrophic” and historic, said Rick Davis, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service. The federal agency had issued the unusually dire warnings before the storm.

“As of right now, it definitely stacks up as a top three winter weather event for Georgia,” Davis said.

Deal said the storm was “not nearly as dramatic or traumatic as it could have been” because of early action by the state, warning of the approaching storm and decisions made by metro Atlanta residents to stay home and off the roads.

“We think the human response under these circumstances has been remarkable,” Deal said.

The Atlanta area saw about a quarter of an inch or more of ice, 1 to 2 inches of sleet and 1 to 2 inches of snow for a total of 3 to 5 inches of frozen precipitation, Davis said. In addition, more than 700,000 people lost power at any given time, though in many cases it was restored quickly.

The public may not have thought this storm was as bad because many people heeded warnings and stayed off road, Davis said.

“The public perception may be it went so smoothly,” he said. “But if we would have had people out on the road, the reality would have been a nightmare situation.”

The storm prompted thousands of flight cancellations this week.

Peter Holmes, 40, of Alpharetta, Ga., arrived at the airport Thursday morning with his son, Hayden, to fly to a ski and snowboarding vacation at Lake Tahoe on the border of California and Nevada. He planned the trip as a Christmas gift. To prevent interruptions, Holmes had deliberately avoided connecting flights in Northern airports that often get snowstorms.

While their morning flight was cancelled, he got a later ticket to Los Angeles. From there, he was planning on getting a direct flight to Lake Tahoe.

“I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully that won’t get cancelled, too,” he said. “My theory was to get here early and get anything that was leaving.”

Though icy conditions remained on streets and highways, forecasters projected highs around 50 on Friday in metro Atlanta. In the hard-hit Augusta area, highs were expected to be near 50 on Friday, according to forecasts from the National Weather Service.

Tobias Lee, 18, of Riverdale, took to Twitter on Thursday afternoon and peppered Georgia Power with questions on how soon it might be before the lights at his family’s house were turned back on.

Lee said in an email Thursday afternoon that power at his family’s home south of Atlanta went out Wednesday morning and the lights didn’t so much as flicker for more than 12 hours afterward. Lee spoke to The Associated Press via email because he said his cellphone’s battery life was dwindling and he didn’t have a way to recharge it.

“To keep warm me and my family just bundled up with extra covers and pajamas. Fortunately we have a gas stove and were able to use that for warmth,” he said. “Luckily our stovetop worked so we were able to cook a hot meal.”

While his mother and grandparents chatted with each other and watched snow fall from the kitchen window, Lee said he played a few games on his iPad and continued venting on Twitter.

It’s hard to predict when power will be restored to all customers because the utility has to assess each case separately, Georgia Power spokeswoman Amy Fink said. Some outages can be immediately resolved but others require extra people or equipment, she said. The utility had 8,000 people out working on restoring power.

The state was expected to inch back to normalcy Friday with Gov. Deal ordering government offices to open at 10 a.m., some of MARTA’s suspended bus service being restored and some school systems reopening to students and staff.

Citing hazardous road conditions, Atlanta schools officials said classes would be canceled again while the University of Georgia, Georgia Tech and Georgia State were preparing to welcome students and faculty back to class on Friday.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments (2)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE