Survival Tips for the 2014 Winter Weather Storm
The first major winter weather storm of 2014 left Georgia in a state of frenzy.
Many were left trapped in traffic for multiple hours, children stuck in schools overnight, and some people were even left without power.
Poor preparation and lack of planning were definitely major factors in the chaos. And as we try to prepare for our latest round of snow and ice, we want to make sure everyone knows how to take the proper precautions, including:
– If you must get out on the roads make sure you have a winter safety kit in the trunk. Kit essentials should include a flashlight, first-aid kit, water, blanket, wool cap, gloves, ice scraper and cat litter or sand to provide some traction on ice.
– Keep all of your electronic devices charged; preferably with a backup battery in case of a power outage.
– If you find yourself or someone else in need of shelter, The Metro Atlanta Task Force For the Homeless is open 24/7.For information, call 404-447-3678.
– Make sure the faucets drip to avoid the pipes freezing.
– If you experience a power outage, the number to contact Georgia Power is 1-888-660-5890.
Click here for more Winter Weather Tip from the AJC.