2 Children Dead In Savannah Fire; Space Heater Suspected

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Savannah authorities say two children are dead after their home caught fire overnight and evidence points to a space heater being used in subfreezing temperatures.

Savannah firefighters were called to the small cinderblock home at 1:53 a.m. Thursday and found flames and smoke pouring from the front of the house. Two adults and four children escaped, but firefighters found two children dead inside.

Savannah Fire and Emergency Services spokesman Mark Keller says all evidence indicates an electric space heater in the home caused the fire.

Firefighters prevented flames from spreading to neighboring homes. Names and ages of the children killed were not immediately released.

Though a winter storm this week largely spared Savannah, residents were urged to stay home to avoid icy roads. Temperatures hovered below freezing overnight Wednesday.

(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Atlanta

Watch Dukes & Bell Live
Taz Goes Big With A New Daily Show!

Watch & Listen