BUFORD, Ga. (AP) — Fire officials say a Buford family’s home is considered a total loss after a fire on Christmas Day.
Gwinnett County fire officials say two adults — a husband and his wife — were home at the time and were able to escape the blaze around 9:20 p.m. Wednesday.
Authorities say the man was downstairs in the den when he heard a loud popping sound. He opened the garage door from the kitchen and was immediately met with heavy black smoke and intense heat. He was treated for a minor burn.
The two told firefighters that flames were rolling out the garage doors when they exited the front door.
Firefighters were met with intense heat and flames as they tried to protect neighboring houses from hot embers and heat.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.