cw69 92-9thegame-vertical2 waok

News

2-Year-Old Catches Fire Going Down Slide Doused In Gasoline

View Comments
File photo of an ambulance. (credit: Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

File photo of an ambulance. (credit: Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

WALTON COUNTY, Ga. (CBS Atlanta/AP) — A 2-year-old girl is in a medically induced coma after catching on fire going down a slide doused in gasoline.

Walton County authorities say the girls’ 4-year-old sister poured gasoline on the slide this past Saturday to make it more slippery. When the toddler went down the slide, a spark from static electricity ignited the gas, causing the girl to catch on fire.

“I’ve never heard of an incident like this,” Sheriff Joe Chapman told WAGA-TV.

According to WAGA, the girl’s father rushed her into the shower to put out the flames and then took her to a nearby fire station.

The little girl is currently in critical condition at Grady Hospital with burns over 30 percent of her body.

No charges have been filed.

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,090 other followers