The smell of upset was in the air but eventually dissipated. WC player and tour newbie Christian Harrison played one of the best matches of his life against the serving giant of the tour. This was an absolute thrilling match down to the last point. Isner, who admitted yesterday in the press conference that every year he struggles in the first match at the BB&T, always ending in a tough 3 setter, was yet again victorious. The first set could have gone either way, ending with Isner on top with 11-9 in the tiebreak. Harrison took the second set 6-4. Isner breaks at 5 all in the third, but his service game to win the match was riddled with deuces and feisty play from the youngster.
Joining Ivan Dodig and Lleyton Hewitt, players James Blake, Ryan Harrison, Denis Istomin and Kevin Anderson all advance into the quarter finals. Michael Russell retired from his match against Santiago Giraldo and pulled out of the doubles, citing stomach problems.
In doubles, (1) Ivan Dodig/Marcelo Melo, 2013 Wimbledon Doubles Finalists, were sat down in a nail biter by Jonathan Erlich/Andy Ram, 7-5, 4-6, 10-8. Great Brittain’s C. Fleming/J. Marray put an easy stamping on J. Blake/J. Sock 3,2 and Tech “brothers” K. King/J. Spir go down to Roger-Vasselin/Sijsling. L. Hewitt/C. Guccione and R. Berankis/S. Giraldo(WO) both advance.
- Top two seeds advance to Atlanta quarterfinals (upi.com)
- John Isner advances to Atlanta semifinals (mysanantonio.com)
- Result: Lleyton Hewitt fights back against Ivan Dodig (sportsmole.co.uk)
- BB&T Atlanta Open – Second Round Brings Newcomers To The Forefront (atlanta.cbslocal.com)
- John Isner advances to Atlanta semifinals (utsandiego.com)
- Top-seeded John Isner advances in Atlanta (timesleader.com)
- Top seed Isner books Atlanta quarter-final (thenewstribe.com)
- Russell spoils return of Mardy Fish to ATP Tour (upi.com)