Ala. Shooting Suspect Re-Entered US After Being Deported Recently For Cocaine Trafficking

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a convicted cocaine trafficker suspected of killing three people in east Alabama over the weekend was deported in April and re-entered the country illegally.

Bryan Cox of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement says officials don’t know how long 33-year-old Romero Roberto Moya had been back in the United States.

Cox says Moya was deported to Mexico in April after serving a year in Alabama for trafficking. He pleaded guilty to the charge in June 2011 following his arrest in Calhoun County.

Police say Moya was suspected in a slaying that left three Hispanic males dead in Cleburne County on Saturday. He was later shot to death by police after a two-county chase.

A Heflin police officer shot during the exchange of gunfire is recovering.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Atlanta

Taz Goes Big With A New Daily Show!
Enter NOW

Watch & Listen