Students Return To Atlanta School After Gas Leak

ATLANTA – (AP/WAOK) -Students are returning to an Atlanta elementary school where dozens of students were sickened by carbon monoxide, but school officials say they’ve now placed carbon monoxide detectors in the building.

Finch Elementary School reopens Friday morning, four days after soaring levels of carbon monoxide sent more than 40 students and some adults to hospitals.

Georgia law does not require the detectors in schools, but Atlanta Public Schools officials said Thursday that planning is under way to install them in buildings across the district.

Superintendent Erroll Davis says the leak was caused by human error, not an equipment failure. He said two maintenance workers serviced the boiler at the southwest Atlanta school just days before the leak, and failed to reopen a valve after doing the work.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Atlanta

Taz Goes Big With A New Daily Show!
Enter NOW

Watch & Listen