Thanksgiving Tips For Pet Owners
ATLANTA – As much as we might like to include the family pet as a member of the family, feeding them part of your Thanksgiving Dinner is not the best idea.
Local veterinarians say many of the items prepared for humans to feast on, may pose serious problems to pets.
Some of these problems include gastrointestinal irritations with vomiting and diarrhea, pancreatitis from eating foods high in fat, and an increase in animals being struck by vehicles.
By practicing these safety precautions and tips, you may just save your pet’s life:
• Make sure to seal garbage bags and place them in a tightly covered container to prevent your pets from getting into something that could injure them.
• Turkey bones, chicken bones and ham bones can splinter and cause the intestinal track to become perforated.
• It is best to keep your pets on their normal diets. Many spices and foods that are safe for humans are not safe for animals. Onions, garlic, chocolate, raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, the sugar substitute xylitol, and raw or undercooked food can create major problems for pets.
• Foods high in fat content can cause pancreatitis in companion animals.
• As guests and deliveries come and go, make sure pets remain safely inside. Doors that are left unintentionally open can result in your pet being hit by a car.
• Poinsettias are also toxic to pets.
• If traveling with pets, make sure they are comfortable. Get them acclimated when they are young by taking them on trips. If needed, herbal remedies or medications can be provided by your veterinarian to assist with calming a pet.
“Every year we see an increase in emergency cases during the holiday season, many of which are avoidable,” said Dr. Jennifer Pittman, a board certified specialist in veterinary emergency & critical care medicine at Georgia Veterinary Specialists, a BluePearl hospital. “While we don’t want to see any emergencies that are preventable, if people do notice their pet exhibiting unusual behavior, we would urge them to get the pet to a veterinarian as soon as possible.”
Courtesy of BluePearl Veterinary Partners