LOS ANGELES (AJC/AP)-Investigators found cocaine in the Beverly Hills hotel room where Whitney Houston was found drowned on Feb. 11, according to a TMZ report Friday.
The entertainment site, referencing police documents, said authorities recovered “white, powdery remnants”, which were tested and later confirmed to be cocaine.
The discovery counters earlier reports that no illegal drugs were found in the Grammy Award-winning singer’s room.
The official cause of Houston’s death was drowning and the effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use, according to the Los Angeles coroner’s office. Toxicology results showed Houston had marijuana, Xanax, the muscle relaxant Flexeril, and the allergy medication Benadryl in her system.
Houston also had cocaine and its byproducts in her system. The toxicology results indicated Houston was a chronic cocaine user, the coroner’s office said.
Houston, 48, was found submerged in the bathtub of her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on the eve of the Grammy Awards. Her death was ruled an accident.
Family and friends said after Houston’s death that they didn’t believe she was still abusing drugs.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.