DUI Charges Dropped Against Hines Ward
DECATUR, Ga. (AP) — Prosecutors have dropped DUI charges against Pittsburgh Steelers receiver and Dancing With the Stars winner Hines Ward.
DeKalb County Prosecutor Sonja N. Brown said Wednesday that Ward pleaded guilty to reckless driving and was given a year on probation. She says he also was fined $2,000 and must do 80 hours of community service. He also must undergo alcohol evaluation.
The 35-year-old Super Bowl XL MVP was arrested last year after he failed to maintain his lane and hit a curb. He failed several field sobriety tests and was booked into the DeKalb County jail and later released on bond.
Ward used to be a primary receiving target but last season wasn’t used as much. He has two years remaining on his deal and has said he’s willing to restructure it to finish his career with Pittsburgh.
The Pittsburgh Steelers aren’t ready to part ways with Hines Ward just yet.
General manager Kevin Colbert said Monday the team has had “internal discussions” on what to do with the franchise’s all-time leading receiver, but no decision has been made.
NFL.com reported last week the Steelers were planning to release the 35-year-old Ward, who took on a diminished role last season behind Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders.
Ward posted on his Facebook page Saturday that he’s willing to restructure his contract in hopes of finishing his career with Pittsburgh. Ward has two years remaining on his current deal at a cost of about $4 million a season.
The 14-year veteran became the eighth player in NFL history to reach 1,000 career receptions last season.