Dog Dies Saving Owner From Georgia House Fire
MARIETTA, Ga. (CBS Atlanta) — “Man’s best friend” gives up his life to save his owner from a house fire.
The Cobb County Fire Department responded to a call at Scott Dunn’s Marietta home early Tuesday morning.
Dunn says the only reason he survived the fire is because his dog, Duncan, woke him up so he could escape before the flames killed him.
“That’s my boy. He saved my life,” Dunn told WGCL-TV.
Dunn escaped with only his truck and the clothing he was wearing at the time thanks to his dog’s warning.
Duncan, however, was too frightened by the flames to leave, and Dunn was unable to get back into the house.
“His collar came off,” said Dunn, noting that he didn’t realize Duncan wasn’t attached to the collar until it was too late. “He wouldn’t come. I think he was just as scared as I was.”
Duncan’s body was later found by firefighters, reportedly curled up on Dunn’s bed.
“He saved my life, but I couldn’t return the favor,” he said through tears to WGCL-TV. “It was too hot in there. I couldn’t get back in there.”
Denell Boyd, public relations coordinator for Cobb County Fire and Emergency Services, confirmed that the dog passed away, but was also unable to comment on the cause of the fire.
“No foul play is suspected, but we can’t rule it out,” she told CBS Atlanta. “There’s still an investigation to go through.”