45 years after the murder of Malcolm X in the Audubon Ballroom, the only man ever to admit his involvement in the assassination was freed on parole Tuesday.
Thomas Hagan, now 69 was the last man still serving time for the murder of Malcolm X. Hagan had asked for parole 17 times before prison officials finally decided to free him. He was freed from a Manhattan prison where he spent two days a week under a work-release program.
Hagan, has repeatedly expressed sorrow for being one of the gunmen who fired on Malcolm X on February 21, 1965. He has admitted to being one of three men who shot Malcolm X in the Audubon Ballroom,
Hagan acknowledged that he was one of three men who shot Malcolm X as the civil rights leader began a speech at Harlem’s Audubon Ballroom. Hagan has also told authorities that two other accomplices created a distraction in the audience so Malcolm X could be murdered. But he said the two men convicted with him were not involved. They were both paroled in the 1980s. No one else has ever been charged.
Hagan had been on work release for nearly 22 years. Hagan told the parole board he hopes to become a substance abuse counselor.